The things that a user places in the sandtray, whether it be a person, tree, house or tank will be referred to as models. Think of them like the miniatures that one would place in a standard sandtray.
With the purchase from the application store, Virtual Sandtray comes with 1000 models (complete list of standard models) in a wide selection that would replicate a starter setup in your office. With the expansion packs, there is over 7000 models available. This paradigm is similar to what you would do in your office, you can tailor your setup to your desires. Say you have a client that is into military figurines, we have several packages available that would meet their needs. The packages are economical and available as in app purchases through the app store.
Expanded Model features for Virtual Sandtray
Given the software nature of Virtual Sandtray, we have been able to extend the capabilities of models beyond what is available to physical sandtray. They are defined as follows:
- Resize models – if the user wants a mommy, daddy and baby elephant, they can place and then resize the original models as desired
- Spawn multiples models – if the user wants 20 of a certain barricade or fence, they can place 20 of them
- Many models are animated – adds life like realism, e.g. a guard looking around.
- Some models can be activated – e.g. tapping on a drawbridge can make it open and close
- If the user requires to wipe changes of the model, they can rollback changes made since creating.
- Many models can have different colors – selected models have multiple textures.
- Models can be floated so that they appear to hover. The client can raise, lower and drop a model back to the tray. They can also have all floating models drop back to the sand at the same time.
- Models can be destroyed. Popular with young males into military themes
- Models can be placed inside of each other. Depending on the configuration of models involved, e.g. you can “hide” a character in a house
- A recently used list of last 10 models placed is maintained by the program for placement in the sandtray for convenience of the user
Customizable People Models
Customizable people are a set of human models that come in our standard package. The series of models comes in kid, teen, adult and senior groups. The following features and more can be changed on them:
- Change skin color
- Change clothing
- Change hair style and color
- Face masks
A convention had to be established for classifying models, both for development reasons and ease of use for the user. Having the models in one big jumble did not make sense nor was practical in the program.
The model hierarchy consists of four tiers. The top level is category. The second level is group. The third level is division. The fourth level is where the models are found. A video demonstration has been created to demonstrate the process and clarify the concept.
The hierarchy you will see in the application is available here. Navigate down through category, group and division so you can see how it would be to navigate the hierarchy.
Where do they come from?
3D artists create models for developers to purchase and use. The developer of the Virtual Sandtray App has scoured through a multitude of model sources to choose those best suited for Virtual Sandtray use. Each model has been tested and modified accordingly for this specific use. At times there are unknown issues with a specific model, if you encounter this please do not hesitate to contact the developer and it will be remedied. New models will be added for your selection and use as they become available.
If one is interested further information regarding the process, they can contact the developer.
The selection of models will be expanded on a continual basis. The development team is committed to fulfilling user needs in regards to requests for new models. So if you have an idea, submit it via the contact form.