Given the Covid-19 crisis, it became clear that there was a need to modify Virtual Sandtray so that it could be used in a capacity where the client and therapist are not participating in traditional face-to-face therapy. This is done through the existing paid therapist version and a free application that clients can download. The feature was also integrated in such a way that two therapists can connect to each others.
With the main application purchase, the therapist will be able to connect to one device remotely, whether it be a client or another therapist. The capacity to connect to up to 8 clients in say group therapy, can be added via an in app purchase.
Connecting with clients
The following instructions will outline connecting a client to a therapist:
- Start the Virtual Sandtray application
- Therapist logs in as the administrator
- Therapist enters administrative menu
- From the administrative menu, choose “Remote Activities”
- Have the client start their application have them tap on the “Remote Client” button. They should enter their nickname at this point.
- Choose “Remote Therapist” from the remote menu to begin hosting a session
- A new window will appear, the settings options are as followed:
- Room ID – identification number of the room to be used for the upcoming session, you can accept the randomly generated default or define your own
- Room Password – password to gain entry to the room, you can accept the randomly generated default or define your own
- Client username – choose an existing client from the device or create a new one to store saved trays under
- Maximum session time – set the maximum session time for the use of Virtual Sandtray
- Allow client screenshots – allows the therapist to determine whether or not the client is allowed to take screenshots during the therapy session
- Allow client video- allows the therapist to determine whether or not the client is allowed to take videos during the therapy session
- Maximum number of clients – set as a further security measure to secure the session
- To begin the session, tap on the “Create Room” button. The status will indicate that a room has been created successfully.
- Tell the client the Room ID and the Room Password so that they can enter them into the fields on their application and tap the “Join Room” button
- When the client successfully joins the session, the status on the therapist end will update and there will be a new button to start the session will appear
- Tap on the “Start Session” button to begin the session with the client
- The therapist application will switch to the sandtray portion of the application. The client will get a popup that indicates the session is starting, when they tap to close it their application will enter the sandtray.
- The therapist has control of who can edit the tray. By default, the application starts with the therapist having control. Control of editing can be given by clicking on the icon with red, green and blue people with a pen. From the window that appears, the therapist can select who has control to edit the tray.
Connecting to other therapist
The process to connect to another therapist is similar to connecting with a client. The hosting therapist follows the same procedure. The connecting therapist will need to do the following steps:
- Start application
- Login as administrator
- Enter administrative menu
- Tap on “Remote Activities”
- Tap on “Remote Client”
- Follow the prior procedure as the client
Connecting to groups
- The hosting therapist must have purchased the in app purchase to allow hosting of more than one client
- Start the application and get to the point where setup the room
- Select how many clients you want to host
- Distribute Room ID and password
- As the clients join the session, the status on the hosting therapist will update as they join
- Start the session when all the clients have joined